HARWICH AND DOVERCOURT SIXTH FORM COLLEGE
At the end of Year 11 many of our students progress into our Sixth Form, opting to stay within the school because they value the good teaching, support and variety of courses we offer. The Sixth Form prides itself on being able to provide a very personalised learning experience with plenty of support available.
There are a range of pathways within our provision, ensuring that students who wish to further their education with us have got a suitable curriculum for their needs. Whether they are hoping to secure employment and training locally at age 18 or a place at a Russell Group university, there is a set of qualifications at Harwich and Dovercourt Sixth Form College which can help them to achieve their aspirations.
Sixth form offer
Highlights of studying at Harwich and Dovercourt Sixth Form College include:
- Small class sizes
- Personalised approach to the curriculum for our students
- Friendly environment with students having regular daily contact with pastoral tutors and teaching staff
- Support in organising work experience placements locally through our links with local employers
- Academic results in line with other local providers
- A successful track record of supporting students in securing places at university
- All students have access to Chromebooks to help them with their studies
- All of our students have a range of opportunities to support our school community, acting as mentors and coaches for our younger students in the 11-16 school.
- We are a short commute for members of the local community, meaning more time to focus on study, extra-curricular activities and ensuring a healthy work-life balance for our students.
After reading this prospectus we hope that you will have all the information you need to inform your decision about applying to study with us. If you would like to talk through your sixth form options, we are available for informal discussions most days.
Please do contact a member of the Sixth Form Leadership Team at the school:
Mrs Parker, Head of Sixth Form: email@example.com
Mr Herron, Assistant Headteacher, Careers and Vocational Achievement: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Higgon, Deputy Headteacher, Curriculum and Resources: email@example.com
Admissions to Harwich and Dovercourt Sixth Form College
HDSFC is able to admit up to 100 students each year, including external applicants. Admission to the Sixth Form will be by reference to GCSE or equivalent qualifications achieved, to a particular Sixth Form route and related courses. The Sixth Form prospectus publicises the range of routes available and the specific entrance requirements for each course offered. As an inclusive Sixth Form designed to cater for the wide range of learning needs in the local community, it is anticipated that there will be an appropriate course for all applicants regardless of their academic qualifications. Should a particular course be oversubscribed then places will be allocated based on academic qualifications and suitability to the course chosen. In the event of a course being oversubscribed, the Headteacher will have the final say in the allocation of places.
Standards and Expectations
Our vision is to create opportunities, experiences and an environment where you can be successful and build foundations for the rest of your life. In order to create this environment all Sixth Form students will be expected to adhere to the standards and expectations outlined in the booklet you can find within the documents below.
Prospectus and application form
This year we have not been able to open our doors to parents, carers and the community to show the wonderful Post 16 provision we offer here at Harwich and Dovercourt Sixth Form. We have instead prepared this digital presentation with an insight through videos and imagery for you to be able to guide your young person on their application and programme opportunities.